The road to success isn't a cake walk. There are a hundred hurdles and people to deal with. Since you're just at the brink of your career and there's hopefully a long way to go ahead, it is time you prepare yourself for the rollercoaster ride that lies ahead. Here are 28 people you're going to meet on your road to success, some good, some bad - but all teaching you some very important lessons in life.
1. People who will be hurt and disappointed by your life choices. But that shouldn't stop you from pursuing your dreams. They will understand, eventually.
2. People who will treat you like dirt. Don't let them make you feel unworthy, ever!
3. People who won't value you when you're struggling but will find a way into your circle just as you begin to succeed. Beware of such people. They will turn their backs on you as soon as you hit a low, just as fast as rats leave a sinking ship.
4. People who will discourage you just because they couldn't do anything themselves. Just don't listen, keep at it. You have a long way to go.
5. People who would support you only till you don't surpass them. Their appreciation isn't real. Don't get fooled so easily.
6. People who would appreciate and encourage you at every step and truly wish well for you. Thank them while they are around - they are the most genuine people you will ever meet.
7. People who would bloat your ego by flattering you with praises. Stay grounded, they don't always mean it.
8. And there will be people who would expect you to suck up to them, making you believe they're the only ones who can take you up. They're lying. You don't need them even half as much.
9. People who would try to tell you 'how things are done'. Don't agree just because you have to. Feel free to carve your own way ahead. Do things your own way. Never lose your natural flair.
10. People who wouldn't believe in meritocracy. But, life is unfair. The sooner you accept it, the happier you'd be. Just keep doing your bit. It will pay off, someday or the other.
11. A mentor who will guide you. He may be with you for a short time, but his teachings will help you sail through everything in life. Value him, for you won't find a mentor again in life. He's the guiding light who is going to play the most important role in your journey.
12. One person who will change your entire philosophy about life with just one piece of advice. You will be confused and aimless all of a sudden. And, it might lead you to paths you never imagined you'd cross.
13. One person who would actually teach you the value of success. A lesson you will never forget for life.
14. One person who will scare you with their pessimism until you give up. Don't fret over it. If you think you can do something, you will.
15. People who will never understand your passion. Don't waste your time explaining yourself too much. You don't need anyone else's approval other than yourself.
16. People who will be constantly competing with you, overriding you the moment you hit a low. Don't hate them - they are the ones who will inspire you to do better every day.
17. People who will disapprove of your high ambitions. It is okay. Following your dreams isn't selfish.
18. People who will weigh you down because they're not as good as you. But there's one very important lesson they'll teach you - to work with others.
19. People better than you. Yes, there will be plenty. Work hard, and you shall get even more ahead of them.
20. People who will disapprove of anything and everything you do just for the sake of it. It is nothing to be worried about. It means you're doing something right.
21. People who will try to exploit your talent for their own good. Don't fall for short-term gains so easily. Do not trade your dream for anything in the world.
22. People who will make you want to settle for the ordinary. If you want to make it big, you've got to think big.
23. People who will make you want to reach higher. Stick around. They're the best motivation you'll ever find.
24. Horrible bosses. But strangely, they're the ones you'll learn the maximum from. If nothing else, they'll teach you who not to be!
25. People who will leave your side in the most important time. It is going to be difficult at first, but quite frankly, that's how you realize the power you have in you and emerge as a stronger person.
26. A best friend who will always stand by you no matter what. He may not help you in your career in any way, but what he will prove to be is a strong pillar of support in the toughest of times. Cherish him. There aren't many people like that.
27. People who have had it more difficult than you and have still succeeded. If they can do it, so can you. No excuses.
28. And somewhere during this journey, you will stumble upon that one person you'd been looking for all this while - yourself. The day you find him is the day you succeed in life.