Soon after the deadly 2008 Mumbai attack, Indian intelligence agencies began compiling a list of officials of Pakistan's ISI and Army who were working with the terror groups inside India. A top secret intelligence report lists the names of these officers as well as the names, addresses and other details of their contacts in India.
- For the first time, intelligence agencies have compiled a list of more than 30 senior officials of Pakistan's notorious agency ISI (Inter Service Intelligence) and Army having a direct link with the terror networks operating inside India.
- The Indian intelligence agencies began compiling the list and building a database after the deadly 2008 Mumbai attack in which 164 people were killed and 300 injured. The subsequent investigations revealed that two ISI officials - identified as Major Samir Ali and Major Iqbal - had collaborated with the top leaders of the Lashkar-e-Tayyeba (LeT) terror group in planning and training the cadres that were involved in the attack.
- The intelligence report corroborates the recent admission of former Pakistan Army Chief and President General Pervez Musharraf that Islamabad supported and trained groups like the Lashkar-e-Tayyeba (LeT) in the 1990s to carry out militancy in Kashmir and their leaders like Hafiz Saeed and Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi enjoyed the status of heroes in Pakistan.
- The top secret intelligence report accessed by India Today TV lists the name, designation, contact names and numbers of their Indian contacts etc. The report accessed contains the names of ISI officials involved with the terror groups up to 2013. It is believed some more names have been added to the database.
- The report reveals that Pakistani officials were carrying out activities such as collecting sensitive information on high value targets, passing instructions to the handlers of Pakistan-based terror organisations, interacting with the separatist leaders based in the Valley in a bid to foment trouble in the Valley and were also indulging in a disinformation campaign by selectively briefing human rights activists.
- These Pakistani officials, mostly from the ISI's wing JIN (Joint Intelligence North) which is mainly tasked with directing anti-Indian activities, were in touch with the terror networks spread across key cities in Jammu and Kashmir, New Delhi and Mumbai. They were using satellite phones, mobiles, social media and emails to correspond with and pass instructions to the terrorists.
- The proactive tracking of the activities of ISI officials in India helped the intelligence agencies bust a major terror-cum-spy network that was being operated from Mumbai. In 2013, acting on an intelligence tip-off, the Mumbai police arrested two Kashmiri nationals who had been collecting information on high value targets and passing on the same to their handler in Pakistan, suspected to be a senior ISI official. The two men were identified as Farooq Naikoo, alias Farooq Tendulkar, and Mohammad Talukdar, both residents of Baramulla.
- Intelligence agencies found that Naikoo had been in touch with his Pakistani handler through email, under the cover of working for an export-import firm dealing in dry fruits/ spices in Mumbai.
- The intelligence agencies also found that on the directions of his Pakistani handler, Naikoo had passed on a list of "high value targets" to a Pak-based HM (Hizbul Mujahiden) operative code named Muntazir Tariq through another email ID. From November 2009 to November 2011, he had passed on sensitive information such as:(a) Details of the Azad Gunj Bridge in Baramulla;(b) Deployment details of Indian Army;(c) Details of movement of convoys on Indian side;(d) Xerox copies of OP (Operation) Sadbhavna (2010-2011) files.
- Naikoo's communication to his Pakistani handler suggested that he had cultivated an official in the Ammunition Depot who was willing to work for money.
- ames of few of ISI/Pak Army officials figured in the top secret intelligence report.
Mohd. Amir @ Rashid Mir @ Choudhary Shehzad ISI Colonel Dilshad Mirza ISI Imran Bhat @ Bhat Sahib ISI Code Pir Badar Unknown Pak official Huma Amir Shah ISI Senior ISI official Akhtar Hussain ISI Major Kabir ISI Ayub @ Sallaudin ISI Zahid Nawaz ISI Mohd. Khalil ISI Colonel Naseem ISI Mohsin @ Khamar Beig ISI Malik Sahab Pak Army NA Bilal Ahmed Pak Army Major Azhar Abbas Pak Army Brigadier Younus Khan Pak Army Abdullah Umar Pak Army Imran Pak Army Umair ISI Tariq ISI