Having missed the world heritage tag, the Charminar, which will turn 425 next year, and Golconda fort have not found a place even in the list of must-see sites drawn up by the Archaeological Survey of India.
In fact, no monument, either in Telangana or AP, including the historic Amaravati, Chandragiri fort, Guntupalli Buddhist monuments, figures in the draft list of 22 Indian and 21 world heritage sites listed by the ASI.
The must-see list features on an online list of heritage sites under the protection of the ASI. The ASI is listing “monuments and sites (which) display exceptionality in terms of arts and architecture, planning and design, are a unique testimony to the civilisation in the past and are or outstanding types of buildings showing exemplary engineering skills and of course in a good state of preservation."
The list of iconic monuments is being prepared with a hope to attract a large number of visitors both domesstic and international. “This is a draft list, and there could be inclusions. Factors such as exceptional heritage sites in good state of preservation and other factors are taken into consideration, said an ASI official when asked why the TS and AP sites were missing.
When contacted, government adviser Dr K.V. Ramanachary said he had no idea why the iconic monuments of Hyderabad are left out by the ASI. “We will check it out," he said.
World Heritage sites
- Ajanta and Ellora caves, Aurangabad, Maharashtra.
- Elephanta caves, Maharashtra.
- Agra fort, Agra.
- Taj Mahal, Agra.
- Sun Temple, Konark, Puri, Odisha.
- Group of monuments at Mahabalipuram, Tamil Nadu.
- Churches and convents of Goa.
- Khajuraho group of temples, Madhya Pradesh.
- Group of monuments at Hampi, Karnataka
- Group of monuments at Fatehpur Sikri, UP
- Group of temples, Pattadakal, Karnataka
- Great living Chola temples at Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu.
- Buddhist monuments at Sanchi, MP.
- Humayun Tomb, Delhi.
- Qutb Minar, Delhi.
- Prehistoric rock shelters of Bhimbetka, MP
- Champaner-Pavagarh Park, Gujarat.
- Red Fort, Delhi.
- Hill forts, Ranthambore, Rajasthan.
- Rani-ki-Vav, Gujarat.
Indian heritage sites
- 1121 AD Hoysalesvara temple in Halebidu, Karnataka.
- Udayagiri and Khandagiri caves, Bhubaneshwar, Odisha.
- Asokan Rock edict and sculpture of elephant, Bhubaneswar.
- Sun God of Katarmal, Almora, Uttarakhand
- Jageshwar, Baijnath temples, Uttarakand.
- Gol Gumbaz, Karnataka.
- Buddhist Stupa, Kalaburgi, Karnataka
- Deeg Palaces, Bharatpur, Rajasthan.
- Cooch Behar Palace, West Bengal.
- Jhansi Fort, UP.
- Laxman temple, Chhattisgarh.
- Rock temples, Masrur, HP.
- Hidimba Devi temple, Kullu, HP.
- Kudakallu Parambu, Chiramanangad, Kerala.